A Beginner's Guide to Writing in English for University Study
- Course provided by Future Learn
- Study type: Online
- Starts: Anytime
- Price: Free
Learn how to write using academic English in preparation for university study.
Academic writing can be very different from other types of written English. This course has been developed to help you learn the basics of academic writing and develop your English language skills.
You’ll develop some proficiency in key areas of ‘academic’ grammar, learn about the stages in essay writing, and produce an essay of your own. You’ll also explore how to organise an essay, write in an academic style, and use tools to evaluate your own writing and other learners’ writing, so that by the end of the course you’re able to write a good, basic academic essay.
Hear from our course team
You can take this course at any time. However, if you’d like to engage with the course team, our educators/mentors will be joining the course discussions during the following dates:
18 January 2021 – 19 February 2021
6 September 2021 – 8 October 2021
What topics will you cover?
- Key features of academic writing
- Developing essay ideas
- Organising your ideas effectively
- Essay structure and organisation
- Choosing a title
- Writing in an impersonal style
- Using academic language
- Writing about facts and activities
- Writing about groups of people
- Writing longer sentences: linking words and subordinators
- The stages of writing an essay
- Analysing an essay title
- Deciding what evidence to use
- Writing a first draft of an essay
- Evaluating a first draft of an essay
- Reflecting on feedback on your first draft of the essay
- Responding to feedback on your first draft of the essay
When would you like to start?
Start straight away and learn at your own pace. If the course hasn’t started yet you’ll see the future date listed below.
Who is the course for?
This course is aimed at non-English speakers who have studied some English. You should have a minimum level of IELTS 4.5 or equivalent.