Chess for total beginners
- Course provided by Udemy
- Study type: Online
- Starts: Anytime
- Price: See latest price on Udemy
Hi there! I'm Katie, and I've been playing chess since I was 4. I started competing in tournaments when I was 7, and at one point I was one of the top 100 women in the US. I haven't actively played since 2011, at which point my rating was 1850, but my love of chess still lingers and I think everyone should at least know how to play. This course goes beyond simply teaching how the pieces move. You'll build the foundation for continuing your chess career, if you so choose.
This course breaks down the game step-by-step, from teaching you the rules (how pieces move) to basic strategy (where to move your pieces) to how to improve (with practice positions and resources for learning more). If you watch all the videos and complete all the exercises, you’ll not only be able to play a game (the short-term goal); you’ll be able to continue learning and playing chess on your own. In a few weeks, you’ll probably be able to beat just about anyone off the street!
Besides instructional videos and exercises, this course also has interviews with the following amazing professional women chess players:
• WGM Jennifer Shahade
• WIM Karina Vazirova
...with more coming soon!
A one-time purchase will give you lifetime access to all the new content in the course. Hope you enjoy!
- Make legal moves
- Annotate entire games
- Recognize check and checkmate
- Recognize tactics such as forking, skewering, and pinning
- Checkmate in winning endgames
- Employ good opening, midgame, and endgame strategies
- Advance a pawn to the back rank with king and pawn against king
- Gain the know-how and resources to continue advancing your chess skills
- Hear perspectives on chess from GMs and IMs
- Calculate several moves ahead
- Play and enjoy the game of chess!