Concepts in Sustainable Development: An Introduction to the Key Issues
- Course provided by Future Learn
- Study type: Online
- Starts: Anytime
- Price: Free
Get an introduction to the key issues in sustainability
In this course you will study the conceptual foundations of sustainable development, and discuss the issues around sustainability as a complex problem.
We’ll look at the flow of energy and materials worldwide; social and political issues; wealth inequality; the impact of geography, history and culture on sustainability today; and the problems of collective action. Finally, we’ll conduct a SWOT analysis, looking at our resilience and prospects in the face of climate change and other global issues in sustainability. We’ll ask: are we doomed?
What topics will you cover?
- Week 1: Sustainable development and complexity
- Week 2: The economy and ecology as a metabolic system
- Week 3: Economic growth and inequality
- Week 4: The importance of geography, history and culture and the impact of human activity on the environment
- Week 5: The problem of collective action
- Week 6: Strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats
When would you like to start?
Start straight away and learn at your own pace. If the course hasn’t started yet you’ll see the future date listed below.
Who is the course for?
This course is open to anyone interested in exploring the general technical and social issues around the concept of sustainability and sustainable development. The course explores the theoretical basis of sustainability from the natural sciences, political and economic perspective. This course is aimed at learners who wish to engage with the challenges and potential solutions to sustainability at a conceptual level.