Creative writing and critical reading
- Course provided by OpenLearn
- Study type: Online
- Starts: Anytime
- Price: Free
This free course, Creative writing and critical reading, explores the importance of reading as part of a creative writer’s development at the postgraduate level. You will gain inspiration and ideas from examining other writers’ methods, as well as enhancing your critical reading skills. Examples will cover the genres of fiction, creative nonfiction, poetry and scriptwriting.
Course learning outcomes
After studying this course, you should be able to:
- understand the importance of reading as part of a creative writer's development
- engage analytically and critically with a range of literary and media texts
- recognise how critical reading supplies writers with inspiration and ideas
- understand through writing practice one or more of the taught genres of fiction, creative nonfiction, poetry and scriptwriting
- engage with postgraduate modes of reading and writing practice.