Examine the roots of football and its rise to modern prominance.
This course will explore the history and culture of football, with a focus on the World Cup and on Leicester City Football Club.
We’ll explore the origins of football, from early clubs to professional leagues and European competition; the role of media and formation of the Premier League; the World Cup from origins to Russia 2018; and how LCFC became unlikely Premier League Champions.
The University of Leicester and De Montfort University have joined Leicester City Football Club to give a unique insight into the history and sociology of the sport, and the inside story of a premier league club.
What topics will you cover?
- A history of football from early leagues and formats, through to the present day.
- The influence of the media, and European football, on the English game.
- The social impact of football: on fans and communities, through disaster and euphoria.
- A history of the World Cup, from origins to Russia 2018
- A case study of one Premier League club, looking in detail at their folk history and modern success.
- A detailed look at Leicester City Football Club’s remarkable ‘great escape’ and title-winning season 2015-16.
- An examination of the present state of football, and how it might change in the future.
When would you like to start?
Start straight away and learn at your own pace. If the course hasn’t started yet you’ll see the future date listed below.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone interested in football and its background, its place in world culture and media, in the Football World Cup, and in LCFC and its effect on the city of Leicester and in the wider world.
Who developed the course?
University of Leicester
The University of Leicester is a leading research led university with a strong tradition of excellence in teaching. It is consistently ranked amongst the top 20 universities in the United Kingdom.
De Montfort University
De Montfort University (DMU) is a dynamic institution with a long and vibrant history of improving people’s lives through education.
Leicester City Football Club
Formed as Leicester Fosse in 1884, Leicester City Football Club’s steady rise culminated in the most extraordinary of Premier League title triumphs in 2016.