Learn how to support people with intellectual disability in health assessments
Detecting poor health and supporting people with an intellectual disability in managing their health can be challenging for healthcare professionals.
During this course, you will gain valuable knowledge that you can transfer into your daily practice on how to include people with an intellectual disability in health assessments.
You will expand your knowledge through information and techniques underpinned by the world-leading longitudinal study on ageing and intellectual disability, the IDS-TILDA study.
What topics will you cover?
In this course, you will:
- Explore the inequalities that individuals with an intellectual disability experience that often obstruct their engagement in health assessment;
- Identify the changing landscape of healthcare for older people with an intellectual disability;
- Learn how to communicate better with people with an intellectual disability in health assessments;
- Make reasonable adjustments to appointment scheduling, duration, and in explaining assessments;
- Learn best practices in accessible materials for health assessments.
The course is structured into three weeks:
- Week 1: Health and wellbeing challenges for people with an intellectual disability
- Week 2: Best practices in communicating with people with an intellectual disability in health assessment
- Week 3: Performing a health assessment for people with an intellectual disability
When would you like to start?
Start straight away and learn at your own pace. If the course hasn’t started yet you’ll see the future date listed below.
Who is the course for?
This course is for healthcare professionals, healthcare workers, and care supporters working with people with an intellectual disability. You do not need any prior experience as the course is designed to be usable by all levels of healthcare professionals.
Who developed the course?
Trinity College Dublin
Founded in 1592, Trinity College Dublin is Ireland’s highest ranked university. It promotes a diverse, interdisciplinary environment to nurture ground-breaking research, innovation, and creativity.
EIT Health promotes healthy living, active ageing and improvements in healthcare.