Heralded by Harvard University’s Project Zero, the Reggio Emilia Approach is blend of theory and practice that is based upon decades of research in early childhood development. Founder Loris Malaguzzi designed a teaching approach which is alive, creative and emergent.
Central to this progressive approach is the image of the child as a strong and powerful player in their own education. The teacher is seen as a researcher and protagonist, creating a learning environment that is engaging and highly social. Children learn through play and are assessed through documentation. The documentation makes the learning visible and informs the practice – ultimately leading to innovations in curriculum.
Designed as an introduction to this approach, this first course will introduce two key principals: The strong image of the child as a collaborator in their own education; the environment as the third teacher – designing classrooms that support investigations and creativity and social-emotional development.
Mary Ann Biermeier M.Ed. is Managing Director of Riverbend Studios, llc. She is a master degree educator with over 20 years in the early childhood field, an Arizona certified instructor inspired by the Reggio Emilia approach.
All learning starts with joy – we hope you will enjoy this class!
3 PDHs Certificate of Participation upon Completion of Course
- Over 2 hours of classroom video content and several articles written by the educators of Reggio Emilia schools
- Observe children’s learning and teacher competence with a fresh, new perspective
- Become an educator that creates engaging and provocative learning spaces!
- Obtain a clear understanding of open-ended materials and how they lend themselves to creativity – if we want creative, inventive people then we need to foster creativity in our students
- Use materials in your classroom that extend the learning and build relationships with others
- Engage parents in providing open ended, recycled materials for your classroom
- Learn more about Project Work and Emergent Curriculum
- A New Beginning: Reggio Emilia is Progressive Education in Practice