If you play localized games, this probably sounds familiar…
You’re playing your favorite game on a rainy winter afternoon. “Cool graphics! Amazing playability! Killer music! Stunning action! Wait a minute… What’s with all the spelling mistakes? That text doesn’t make sense! Who on earth translated this game!? I could’ve done a better job myself!”
Engage players in the game story
Learn the basic concepts behind game localization and specialize as a game translator, linguistic tester or game localization project manager.
Here’s what you’ll learn:
- Stages of the game localization process
Introduction to game internationalization, the game translation process, different review methods, the importance of linguistic testing. Examine the challenges you’ll face in each stage and decide which part of the process you’d like to work on!
- Differences between working in-house and as a freelancer
Learn how to get acquainted with the game you’ll be translating, what reference material looks like, how to report queries, and examine general rates and salaries before you establish your own. Compare pros and cons, and select your ideal lifestyle!
- The technical aspects
Get a handle on translating texts with codes, conquer those dreaded variables and learn how not to exceed character limitations. All with real examples and plenty of practical exercises! Spend more time translating and less worrying about technical issues!
- Translation and transcreation
Translating a game is nothing like translating software, laws or contracts. It’s actually great fun! (That’s the brotherhood’s best kept secret: you’ll get paid for doing something fascinating!). You’ll have a blast learning how to define characters by how they speak, and translating names, character descriptions and even songs and poems! Improve your creativity and let your words take players on a rollercoaster of emotions!
- Game localization testing
You’d be amazed by the amount of errors that appear when the translated text is implemented in the game. This module teaches you to identify the main types of linguistic bugs and to write straightforward, useful and professional reports. Contribute to a successful translation by reporting bugs and improvements to polish the text until it’s perfect!
Are you ready to become a game localization professional? Then insert coin and… Let’s rock!
- Examine the challenges you’ll face in each stage of the game localization process and choose where you’d like to work
- Compare the pros and cons of working in-house or as a freelancer and select your ideal lifestyle
- Learn how to spend more time translating and less worrying about technical issues
- Improve your creativity and let your words take players on a rollercoaster of emotions
- Learn to write professional bug reports and how to polish a translation until it’s perfect