Explore the exciting possibilities of a career in nursing
Most people will have interacted with a qualified nurse during their lifetime, but the profession remains largely misunderstood.
On this course, you’ll develop an accurate understanding of nursing and where a career in nursing can lead. You’ll discover the demands of nursing in emergency and intensive care, and education and research. You’ll also observe nursing in GP surgeries, people’s homes, and assisted living facilities.
The course will explore how basic science, psychology, and sociology is applied in the nursing profession to reveal the diverse role nurses play in our society today.
What topics will you cover?
- The variety of roles undertaken by nurses
- The context of nursing, caring for children, adults, older people, individuals with mental health and cognitive support needs
- Bioscience applied to nursing looking at basic physiological measurement
- Psychology related to nursing including the impact of psychology on physiology
- Sociology related to nursing care and society.
When would you like to start?
Start straight away and learn at your own pace. If the course hasn’t started yet you’ll see the future date listed below.
Who is the course for?
This course is for individuals interested in, or considering a career in nursing.
Who developed the course?
University of York
The University of York combines the pursuit of academic excellence with a culture of inclusion, which encourages everyone – from a variety of backgrounds – to achieve their best.