Makey Makey : Beyond the Banana
- Course provided by Udemy
- Study type: Online
- Starts: Anytime
- Price: See latest price on Udemy
We consider this course to be the foundational building blocks you'll need to get you inventing on your own. When faced with a design challenge in the future, you’ll be able to invent on the fly and more importantly, so will your students.
You will explore Makey Makey and its possibilities.
You will be able to imagine and build creative circuits.
You will be able to build simple and effective programs using the free Scratch coding program from MIT that will support a Makey Makey design challenge.
You will build and create projects to learn the iterative design process through a hands on making (and unmaking) process.
Who this course is for:
- Educators new to Makey Makey and makerspace activities
- Makers who want to expand their skills with Makey Makey
- 03:25Introduction to the course
- 02:11Simple Circuits: Crafting your first circuit
- 01:41Why are we learning about circuits?
- 02:31How to Build a Circuit
- 2 questionsBuild Your First Circuit!
- 01:25Exploring Makey Makey
- 02:28Hands On a Makey Makey!
- 2 questionsMakey Makey Piano- Hands Only!
- 02:11What is conductive?
- 01:01Setting up "Is it Conductive?" Station
- 4 questionsAction: Testing Conductive Items
- 02:33Sketch it! Play it! overview
- 04:51Sketch it! Play It! Walkthrough Video
- 2 questionsSketch an Instrument!
- 03:28Designing Switches and Sensors
- 5 questionsSimple Circuit Challenges!
- 00:38Get Active Challenge!
- 1 questionGet Active Switch Challenge
- 01:40Sketch it! Code it!
- 2 questionsSketch a Math or ELA Activity
- 01:30How to Add Scoring in Scratch
- 3 questionsReiterate: Get Active Challenge
- 2 questionsCreate a Makey Makey Data Tracker or Voting Machine
- 01:37Using Makey Makey to Solve a Problem
- 01:51Weather and Movement Sensors
- 07:35Early Warning System Walkthrough Video
- 1 questionEarly Warning System Challenge
- 04:22Design Challenge ("Demo or Die")
- 00:17Conclusion: The World is Your Construction Kit
Tom and Colleen are bananas for Makey Makey. They also have a passion for sharing innovation in classrooms. These former school teachers have extensive experience working with students both in the classroom and in out of school settings. They are still educating teachers and students in the world classroom. Join them today and learn how to bring invention literacy to life at your school, library, or museum!
I'm a public educator that creates content for teachers full time! I create fun maker projects, test them in real classrooms and instigate fun for teachers and students. I believe students learn best with hands on learning. My courses are hands-on and require you to connect to your creativity and playful side. I can't wait to see what you create while taking my class!
Tom is the VP for Education Initiatives at Makey Makey. In this role Tom travels throughout the US leading workshops for K12 educators. His efforts have resulted in a nationwide network of Makey Makey training "hubs" that provide PD for K12 educators. Tom is an award winning presenter and educator. He's spoken on the TED stage and has been a keynote presenter at many education events. Prior to his work at Makey Makey, Tom worked at Purdue University in the engineering department where he led a team that was charged with growing an award winning K12 program that taught students about Human Centered Design through Service Learning. Tom is a former high school teacher, juvenile corrections officer, and YMCA Senior Director. He's authored multiple books and has published hundreds of podcast episodes.