Materials Science and Engineering
- Course provided by edX
- Study type: Online
- Starts: Anytime
- Price: Free
Materials Science and Engineering is an engineering course aimed at delivering fundamental knowledge and skills in materials science.
It is a well-known fact that the key driver for technological progress was people’s aspiration for continuous improvement of the quality of life. As a result, the demand for new materials increased significantly and a lot of existing materials were upgraded.
Materials Science is the very course that enables people to design and develop competitive products which form the basis of any modern manufacturing. Materials scientists and engineers are one of the most highly paid and in-demand specialists in our high tech age.
In the Materials Science and Engineering course you will learn how to establish correlations between the composition, structure and properties of metal alloys and non-metal materials, as well as manage their mechanical, electrical, optical and magnetic properties, which is pivotal for the construction of new progressive materials.
The course content is closely related to chemical, mechanical, electrical, computing, and bio- and civil engineering.
This course considers:
- How the physical properties of metals, ceramics polymers and composites are correlated with their internal structures (on atomic, molecular, crystalline, micro- and macro- scales) and operational conditions (mechanical, thermal, chemical, electrical and magnetic).
- Microstructure and composition analysis methods, such as X-ray diffraction analysis and Transmission and Scanning Electron Microscopy.
- How materials processing, e.g. mechanical working and heat treatment, affects their properties and performance.
- The latest achievements in Materials Science and Engineering.
The course is delivered by professor Alexander Mukasyan, whose exceptionally rich expertise in materials science and engineering will enable you to successfully acquire the essential basis of engineering education.
You have two options when enrolling the course:
- By choosing the Audit track you get free access to all of the course materials including various problems that help to practice theoretical concepts.
- By pursuing the Verified Certificate you will not only receive an official certificate in case of successful course completion, but also get access to additional non-trivial problems.