Explore fascinating maths puzzles
Discover maths puzzles, explore their history and practise problem-solving techniques.
+ Cryptarithms – puzzles where the digits have been replaced by letters.
+ Symbologies – puzzles where numbers are represented by symbols.
+ Mathematical operator puzzles – puzzles where the numbers are given, but the mathematical operator is missing (for example, what does the asterisk stand for in *1320=6?)
Through the course you will develop problem-solving skills, gain knowledge about the history, art and methodology of encrypted puzzles, and exercise your brain with fun challenges.
What topics will you cover?
- Encoding maths puzzles, secret codes and symbologies
- Solving and creating cryptarithms – puzzles where numbers in a mathematical expressions are encoded
- Genres of cryptarithm including, ancient Hindu problems and alphametics
- Special and unique cryptarithms, including prime numbers, logarithms, square roots and powers
- Symbologies from ancient times to modern bar codes
- The language of computers including, binary, ternary and gray codes
- Decrypting ancient Egyptian number systems, Roman and Greek numerals
- Barcode puzzles and how to solve them
- Different types of operator puzzles including unary, binary and ternary
- Modern operators including, logic operators, text operators and operators in Excel
When would you like to start?
Start straight away and learn at your own pace. If the course hasn’t started yet you’ll see the future date listed below.
Who is the course for?
The course is designed for anyone who enjoys popular science, recreational maths and solving maths puzzles and crosswords. It will be especially useful for parents or teachers looking to inspire a love of math and do fun math activities with young people.
Who developed the course?
Davidson Institute of Science Education at the Weizmann Institute of Science
The Weizmann Institute of Science is one of the world’s leading multidisciplinary basic research institutions in the natural and exact sciences. The Davidson Institute of Science Education is the educational arm of the Weizmann Institute.