Sentence Diagramming - From Beginner to Expert in 12 Lessons
- Course provided by Udemy
- Study type: Online
- Starts: Anytime
- Price: See latest price on Udemy
This is a course that will introduce you to beginning through advanced concepts of sentence diagramming. There are 13 individual lessons and downloadable exercises for you to try. Each video lesson is between five and sixteen minutes long, and you have all the time you need to complete the exercises: Simply pause the video as necessary. Each lesson leads to the next, and you will be guided through the course in a step-by-step process that will take you through beginning concepts of grammar and diagramming through more advanced concepts of grammar and diagramming. For those who are more comfortable with written materials, a textbook is available on Amazon. However, the textbook is certainly not required. Each lesson will prepare you for the next by asking you to think critically and analytically about your interpretation of sentences before diagramming. The course also includes Q&A availability, so ask away!
Diagramming sentences is a playful, fun way to analyze everyday language! It's for all ages, from students just learning English as a second language, to students studying Language Arts, to students prepping for the SAT, ACT, or even a GRE. This course helps students learn to identify the parts of speech, locate those parts in well-constructed sentences, and see the patterns inherent in Standard English. In other words, diagramming sentences helps students become better readers, writers, and critical thinkers!
Who this course is for:
- Teachers who want to introduce more active learning into the classroom
- Tutors who need a quick study in order to assist students
- Students who need extra help with their English or Language Arts classes
- Adult learners looking for a fun way to learn a new skill
- Kinesthetic and visual learners looking for a new way to study grammar
- Second language learners (ESL) students seeking an engaging method to study English grammar
- Parents who want to help their children learn English grammar
- 08:31Diagramming Compound Subjects and Verbs
- 08:43Diagramming Modifiers
- 10:45Diagramming Direct and Indirect Objects
- 04:58Diagramming Questions
- 11:59Prepositional Phrases as Modifiers
- 06:45Predicate Nominatives and Predicate Adjectives
- 07:11Prepositional Phrases as Nominals
- 05:29Appositives and Interjections
- 16:24Compound and Complex Sentences
- 03:53Bonus Lecture: Additional Resources
Amy Lynn Hess is an Atlanta area poet, painter, potter, publisher, professor, and dramaturg. She holds a B.S. in Theatre and Interpretation from Central Michigan University, an M.A. in Theatre History and Criticism from Ohio University, and an M.F.A. in Creative Writing from Naropa University's Jack Kerouac School of Disembodied Poetics. She has published three chapbooks of poetry and a textbook about sentence diagramming, and she is the editor-in-chief for her small poetry publishing company, Gypsy Daughter. She has been an English and General Education Professor since March of 2008, having previously held jobs as an administrative assistant, bookkeeper, sales clerk and product expert at an art supply store, librarian, high school teacher, tutor, properties manager, costumer, make-up artist, and managing director at a non-profit playhouse.
You can read more of Amy Lynn's work on her blog, Gypsy Daughter Essays.