The Book of Kells: Exploring an Irish Medieval Masterpiece
- Course provided by Future Learn
- Study type: Online
- Starts: Anytime
- Price: Free
Explore the history of Ireland using the remarkable Book of Kells
The Book of Kells manuscript, housed at Trinity College Dublin is world famous - it attracts almost one million visitors a year. But what can this book tell us about Irish history? And what significance is the manuscript in today’s world?
On this course you will use the Book of Kells as a window through which to explore the landscape, history, faith, theology, and politics of early medieval Ireland. You will also consider how the manuscript was made, its extended biography and how it has affected different areas of the contemporary world.
What topics will you cover?
- Where and how the manuscript was made
- The social context from which the manuscript emerged, including early medieval faith and politics.
- The artistic context of the manuscript, reflecting local and international styles.
- The theology and interpretations of the text.
- How and why the manuscript survived
- The Book of Kells and contemporary culture.
When would you like to start?
Start straight away and learn at your own pace. If the course hasn’t started yet you’ll see the future date listed below.
Who is the course for?
The course is for anyone with an interest in Ireland, medieval studies, history, art, religion and/or popular culture.