Deputy Strategic Planning Manager
Deputising for the Planning Policy and Infrastructure Planning Managers you will be a confident self-motivated and experienced town planner capable of advising on a wide range of planning issues, leading the development, implementation and continuous review and monitoring of the Council's planning policies and plans including SPDs and Development Frameworks. . You will be an innovative, proactive and solution focussed town planner capable of working with elected representatives and partners within the Council and Re. Working with developers and their consultants, the GLA, statutory agencies, neighbouring boroughs and local councillors and residents will be essential, so you will be someone who understands the development plan process within London and the national planning context.
As the Deputy Manager covering both Policy and Infrastructure Planning, you will be responsible for the management and performance of a team of professionals as well as a range of planning projects which require contributions or leadership. You will be able to demonstrate your experience on similar projects, handling a complex work load, engaging with a range of stakeholders to secure positive outcomes.
What you'll be doing:
- To line manage a team of planning professionals
- Provide high quality professional advice and direction on strategic planning matters and issues;
- Operate as an experienced planning professional, utilizing specialist technical and legal knowledge of development management and strategic planning;
- Monitor the effectiveness of planning policy, identifying new ways of measuring their implementation;
- Carry out a broad range of administrative work to assist service delivery including communicating advice and guidance, coordinating responses on planning enquiries, ensuring access to reports, reviewing and appraising technical reports, plans and planning documents where necessary;
- Prepare accurate and timely officer delegated reports and committee reports for planning and other Council committees, and briefing papers to Councillors and members of the public;
- Attend and present at meetings of Council Committees, and other formal and informal groups including the Local Plan Members Advisory Group. Ensuring Members of the Council are able to make properly informed decisions on planning matters;
What we are looking for:
- Previous line management experience;
- Degree qualified town planner equivalent (RTPI Preferred);
- A thorough understanding of planning issues and trends within the London and national context including reforms to the planning system;
- Proven track record and experience of producing planning policy documents from conception to adoption with a thorough knowledge and understanding of the statutory processes involved;
- Experience of community engagement on planning policies and strategies, understanding the concerns raised and proposing clear, concise and helpful responses.
- Knowledge and understanding of planning policy, practice and procedures and experience of investigating, analysing, recommending and presenting solutions to planning problems to make quality planning decisions;
About Government Services
For more than 30 years Capita has been working across the public and private sectors, solving the complex challenges of our clients, increasing productivity, enhancing their use of technology and data, improving customer and public services and adding value to the UK and local economies.
Capita is committed to the local government sector and is the market leader in the delivery of Planning Resilience Services to Local Authority clients. We have worked with over 100 Local Authority clients nationwide, and have an outstanding track record of providing Development Management & Planning Policy and Consultancy services.
Re (Regional Enterprise Limited) is a joint venture between the London Borough of Barnet and Capita to run the Council's development and regulatory services for the next ten years. The JV went 'live' on 1st October 2013 and will deliver growth in the Borough and develop a new and exciting consultancy business, which will supplement the core activities.
What's in it for you?
- A competitive basic salary
- 23 days' holiday (rising to 27) with the opportunity to buy extra leave.
- The opportunity to take a paid day out of the office, volunteering for our charity partners or a cause of your choice.
- Company matched pension, life assurance, a cycle2work scheme, 15 weeks' fully paid maternity, adoption and shared parental leave, paternity pay of two weeks and plenty more.
- Voluntary benefits designed to suit your lifestyle - from discounts on retail and socialising, to health & wellbeing, travel and technology.
- Access to our Employee Network Groups, which represent every strand of diversity and allow colleagues to connect and learn from each other on an open, inclusive platform.
- You'll get the chance to follow your chosen career path anywhere in Capita.
You'll be joining a network of 55,000 experienced, innovative and dedicated individuals across multiple disciplines and sectors. There are countless opportunities to learn new skills and develop in your career, and we'll provide the support you need to do just that. Our purpose is to create a better outcome for you.
What we hope you'll do next:
Choose 'Apply now' to fill out our short application, so that we can find out more about you.
To view our Covid-19 and process adjustments information, please visit the Capita Careers site.
We're an equal opportunity employer, which means we'll consider all suitably qualified applicants regardless of gender identity or expression, ethnic origin, nationality, religion or beliefs, age, sexual orientation, disability status or any other protected characteristic. We recruit and develop our people based on merit and their passion for creating better outcomes, and we're committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. During the application process, you'll be asked to share your personal characteristics and data with us. This helps us understand our audience so we can make sure we are doing everything we can to attract a diverse range of people and ensure our recruitment processes are fair and inclusive.