The Ministry of Defence has a large and complex portfolio of programmes and activities which presents a significant challenge to delivering, monitoring and assuring compliance with tax and customs and duty legislation and HMRC policy. The postholder is responsible for leading on all such matters for the Department.
In that respect, the role provides department wide leadership in the delivery of Tax and Customs and Duty policy and procedural direction, advice and guidance to MOD senior management and internal stakeholders across all business units.
A key component of the role is in enabling the Department to demonstrate compliance with VAT, Employment tax and other tax and customs and duty legislation through assurance of established internal controls and assurance processes. The postholder will be expected to engage with teams and individuals at all levels across the department.
The postholder leads in engagements with external stakeholders (principally HM-Treasury, HMRC and Other Government Departments) in reviewing and resolving specific tax and customs and duty issues.
In doing so the postholder is supported by and leads a team of subject matter experts.
The postholder also plays a key role in the further development of a cross government initiative to expand the scope and outputs of a Tax Centre of Excellence.
We are therefore seeking an individual who will offer strong leadership, communication, influencing, decision making and service delivery skills and experience.ResponsibilitiesThe key responsibilities of this role are:
1. Leading a team of 7 tax and customs and duty subject matter experts including objective setting, performance review and personal development goals.
2. Supporting senior management on tax and customs and duty queries and ensuring that advice presented by the team is consistent, accurate and clear.
3. Developing and maintaining strong and effective relationships with key external stakeholders (such as HM-Treasury and HMRC).
4. Developing and maintaining strong and effective relationships with internal stakeholders through a network of focal points across all business units and multiple functions.
5. Leading engagements with external stakeholders as single point of contact with HM-T and HMRC on MOD tax and customs and duty matters including the planning and execution of HMRC assurance activities.
6. Delivering up to date Departmental policy, procedures and internal controls to reflect latest tax and customs and duty legislation.
7. Monitoring and where necessary improving the effectiveness of assurance and internal controls to deliver compliance with tax and customs duty legislation.
8. Provide clear advice and guidance on tax and customs and duty matters in support of decision making for example as part of investment and other business decisions/assumptions.
9. Contributing to the ongoing development of the pan-government Tax Centre of Excellence of which MOD is a founding member.