Please note that these vacancies are fixed term contracts initially for 6 months.
This is an exciting opportunity to work as part of Essex County Council’s large, dynamic and highly valued Business Support Team who work in specialised Business Centres across Essex promoting specialised knowledge and improving service and efficiencies.
We have several vacancies based in the West Essex Business Centre within the following specialised areas (for further information please click on the links below):
There will be vacancies for Business Support Assistants (salary up to 19,329 per annum) and Business Support Administrators (salary up to 23,152 per annum) who provide advice and guidance to Business Support Assistants, acting as their coach/mentor and being their first point of escalation for resolving unusual or complex customer work requests.
If you have any preferences regarding the specialised areas above that you would like to work in, please list these at the beginning of your supporting statement, as well as state whether you wish to be considered for the Business Support Assistant role, or the Business Support Administrator role, or both.
Unless otherwise stipulated in the links above, or if the role is providing support to frontline social care teams, these positions will, in line with current government guidance be based from home, with an expectation of being home based for the foreseeable future. However, if / when government guidelines change the role may then revert to being office based, whilst retaining some flexible working options in line with Essex County Council mobile flexible working policy.
Business Support teams deliver outstanding administration and customer service to all Essex County Council (ECC) functional areas. Our multi skilled teams deliver services from Business Centre hubs; providing a wide variety of support to high volume processes and tasks such as data input and management, minute taking, finance tasks, managing high volume calls, receptions and requests for assistance. We also support front line social care teams that require a more integrated approach to support.
We are proactive, forward-thinking and solution focused; we streamline processes and maximise digital opportunities. In doing so, we help increase the effectiveness of ECC to deliver better outcomes for the people of Essex than it could without our support.
We value our people and help them strive to deliver their potential and walk their career pathways within our organisation, giving them the tools and learning to get there.
As a valued Business Support employee, you will provide general administrative support to ECC in response to the rising demand for services due to the Covid 19 pandemic. This will enable ECC core essential services to support the residents of Essex in provide the best possible services that they need during an extended period of uncertainty for the Country.
This role involves working as part of a business support team to deliver effective, professional administrative support; learning and developing an understanding of existing processes and systems, as well as developing knowledge of Social Care teams and other corporate functions.
As a Business Support employee, you will provide general administrative support to ECC, dealing with day to day work delegated by your Line Manager and customer.
Accurate and efficient data entry onto ECC systems is required, to ensure that all customer service requests are met within a specified time frame and are in line with data protection policies.
ECC provide a minute taking service as requested, therefore relevant transferable skills are desirable, however full training will be provided. You will also provide Reception Cover across our main hub buildings, therefore excellent customer service skills are essential.
- Providing high quality, efficient and effective Business Support services to internal and external customers within agreed timescales and Service Level Agreements (SLAs).
Working in a fast-paced environment to respond to customer requests and queries in a timely, accurate and efficient way.
- Acting as a professional representative of the Business Support service at a local level.
- Delivering the required activities of the respective customer/service.
- Providing high quality self-directed administrative support, checking own work and proactively looking to raise standards and confident to ask questions and seek clarification from customers.
- Maintaining confidential records according to Essex County Council guidance.
- Dealing with correspondence for the team or service in a timely, consistent and professional manner.
Sharing knowledge and good practice with colleagues and highlighting more efficient ways of doing tasks.
- Taking minute and action notes at a variety of meetings; therefore, excellent written communication is essential.
- Working with a range of Microsoft Packages such as; MS Teams, Excel, Word, Outlook and Powerpoint, and the ability to devise and format reports is desirable.
- Good Standard of basic education – 5 GCSEs grade C and above (including Maths and English) or comparable experience/qualifications.
- Ability to use computerised systems with a high level of speed and accuracy – including Microsoft Office applications and internal ECC databases.
- Previous experience of managing electronic or hard copy filing systems.
- Ability to communicate in a manner which is easily understood and tailored to meet the needs of the audience.
- As part of the role you may have access to sensitive and/or personal information.
- Ability to think about alternative ways of doing things and being open to new work practices and responsive to change.
- Ability to take ownership of work and fulfil agreed commitments, checking work for accuracy.
- This position may require minute taking experience, therefore relevant transferable skills are desirable, however full training will be provided.
As part of employment with Essex County Council (ECC) should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please go to https://www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service.
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is key to our success.
If you have any queries regarding this role, or require anything further, please contact the Resourcing Team on 0333 013 5888.