Household Waste Recycling Centre Operative
- Lancashire County Council
- Full Time
| Salary £18,329 per annum | Permanent, Full Time, 40 hours per week | Waste HWRC |
Grade: Foundation Living Wage - £9.50
Location: Lancaster (Mon-Fri)
Hours: 40 (8.45am 5.15pm)
Includes 3 hrs contracted overtime @ £9.50 x 1.33
Lancashire is the fourth largest local authority in England and covers a huge geographic area and a wide range of communities both urban and rural. Lancashire County Council manages over half a million tonnes of municipal waste each year. The council has a network of waste facilities which includes the direct operation of 15 household waste recycling centres and two waste transfer stations.
Reporting directly to one of the Assistant Operations Managers we are seeking to appoint an enthusiastic individual to support the HWRC Site Supervisors in the co-ordination and delivery of all aspects of the HWRC service.
- Direct engagement with customers, including potentially dealing with difficult situations or aggressive customers;
- Assist facility users with the separation and deposit of their waste, encouraging the general public to recycle as much of their waste as possible;
- Increase reuse and recycling by actively separating/retrieving recyclable waste and encouraging the general public to reuse and recycle their waste;
- Ensure site is kept tidy and compliant with any quality, environmental or health and safety standards;
- Handle and process information such as accepting and requesting permits, and processing any payments for inert waste as necessary;
- Exchange varied information with members of the public and other staff using excellent communication skills;
- Following agreed procedures ensure that skips (and other containers used to collect and store waste) are kept available and booked in and out of the household waste recycling centre;
- Deal with collections directly from the household waste recycling centre i.e. fridges, bric-a-brac etc.
The following attributes are required for the role:
- Experience of working in waste management is desirable
- Excellent communication skills and even temperament;
If you have the motivation and commitment, and a real desire to make a difference to how we manage our waste in Lancashire, then we look forward to receiving your application.
In return Lancashire County Council offers a range of benefits, found on our website here
We do not hold a sponsorship licence and can only consider applications from candidates who are legally entitled to work in the UK. If you do not have the right to work in the UK, your application will not progress.
We reserve the right to close down a vacancy early, before the closing date, if we receive sufficient applications.