Being a large DGH with a proud history, we are big enough to get interesting cases, but small enough to care, coach and develop. NGH has a good current reputation with ambitions for the future. With over 30 SAS doctors and 200 consultants, a similar number of trainees and approximately 60 medical undergraduates NGH provides comprehensive care and extensive training opportunities. NGH has a multi-ethnic and diverse workforce and towards this the hospital has a policy to support the BAME doctors.
We have 700+ beds, and a recently built up to date assessment unit to help change the way the hospital operates. We have a well-resourced post-graduate centre, an established clinical trials unit and an excellent quality improvement training programmes including an MSc.
NGH aims to be the hospital of choice for patients and staff, and has developed its corporate objectives around five key principles:
To achieve clinical excellence and best outcomes for the patients
To improve patient experience by providing the best possible environment within which they receive care
To provide the highest level of access
To improve the quality of working life for staff by creating a place of work, learn and develop
To provide value for money
- We put patient safety above all else
- We aspire to excellence
- We reflect, we learn, we improve
- We respect and support each other
SAS Doctors at NGH
We realise that increasing numbers of young doctors are choosing the SAS career by choice. We take pride in the happiness of our SAS doctors and they have come up with the following reasons as to why NGH is the place for SAS doctors
- One of the very few Trusts to be SAS Charter Compliant.
- Two additional days annual leave on par with the Consultant contract
- Dedicated SAS tutor from the SAS grade.
- Exclusive ongoing educational activities annually catering to the needs of SAS doctors.
- Dedicated SAS room in the Postgraduate education centre with full IT facilities.
- Full participation in Medical Staff Committee meetings as well as Consultants meetings.
- Help and advice to interested SAS doctors who are keen to progress to the Consultant Grade. Quite a few have achieved this recently.
- Study leave at par with Consultant Colleagues, which at NGH we have enjoyed for over 10 years.
- Full representation on a very supportive LNC
- Annual social event exclusively for the SAS doctors
- Annual job planning with the mandatory SPA time, which has been happening in the trust for over 10 years now
- Fully trained and supported SAS grade Appraisers appraising their peers and Trust Grade Doctors.
We are looking to recruit a Specialty Doctor to our department at Northampton General Hospital. The successful applicant will join an existing team of 42 consultants, 1 Associate Specialist, 5 Specialty Doctors and 37 junior doctors. Our department is fully committed to training and personal development, and actively participates in hospital activity with many of us in trust lead roles. The Associate Medical Director for Patient Safety, Chair of IT, and Chair of Medical Equipment Committee are anaesthetists. A number of us have major roles outside the trust: Four consultants are Royal College Examiners, one Irish Examiner, and one EDAIC examiner. Speciality doctors from the department are appraisers, on Local Negotiating committee and involved in training and manpower management. We are keen to support CESR pathway and our most recent appointment to consultant position was a SAS doctor from our department.
For further details / informal visits contact:
Clinical Director Dr Prashant Kakodkar or PA to the Clinical Director Anita Vicars on 01604 545667 to arrange an appointment