Our engineering team at Tesco deliver first class engineering solutions to over 6,500 Tesco stores in eight countries across the group. We are responsible for setting standards and delivering innovation in the entire Tesco estate including Retail Stores, Distribution Centres, Tesco Banks and Offices. It is the skills and knowledge of our people that make us one of the leading retail engineering teams in the world.
We are currently recruiting a Mechanical Engineering Manager who will have full accountability for developing technical standards from both a Tesco and industry perspective across a broad range of engineering equipment.
Working with stakeholders and technical suppliers across the group, you will drive innovative and new ideas, identify opportunities and provide technical solutions.
Based out of Head Office at Welwyn Garden City with travel to stores and suppliers.
- Identifying opportunities to develop and improve our equipment standards that include mechanical plant including Lifts and Escalators, loading bay equipment such as Dock Levellers and Double Deck list along with general mechanical equipment in stores and distribution centres.
- Developing the annual business plan for new stores, capitals replacements and future Tesco Property programmes.
- Cross-functional working with internal and external stakeholders to ensure successful delivery of the Group technical standards.
- Review and understand equipment performance, working with colleagues to identify and explore root cause issues and creating proposals, which inform short, medium and long-term plans.
- Identifying ways to drive continuous improvement within refrigeration products, identify ways to deliver better, simpler and cheaper solutions
- Developing productive relationships with industry experts, colleagues and stakeholders (Retail and Property), energizing and influencing others to get the job done and deliver great results.
- Bringing technical innovation and new ideas to allow the business to stay up to date.
- A proven track record in a number of mechanical engineering discipline’s with a sound theoretical and practical experience of today’s technologies across the sectors.
- An appreciation of the day-to-day demands of food retail and a passion to deliver improvements through change.
- Previous experience of project design and delivery and writing specifications is essential.
- An up to date understanding of industry standards and relevant legislation.
- A strong understanding of Health & Safety and how to approach specifications to deliver easy to maintain products.
Skills and Qualifications
- Mechanical Engineering Degree – Desired
- IEng – Incorporated Engineering accreditation – Essential
- CEng – Chartered Engineer – Desired
- Membership of relevant Institutes – Desired
- Previous experience of working with industry bodies – Desired
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work. These include but aren’t limited to:
- Annual bonus scheme where you can earn up to 3.5% of base salary
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day (plus 8 Bank holidays)
- On-site state of the art gym at our Welwyn Campus with discounted “Gympass” membership & free health checks via Nuffield Health
- Retirement savings plan – save between 4% and 7.5% and Tesco will match your contribution
- Life Assurance – 5 x contractual pay
- Share Schemes – Join our ‘Buy As You Earn’ & ‘Save As You Earn’ share schemes after 3 months service
- Colleague Clubcard (including a 2nd card for a family member) after 3 months service
- Colleague Discounts:
- 10% increasing to 15% after every pay day for a four day period, off most purchases at Tesco
- 10% off One Stop
- 10% off pay monthly & SIM only deals with Tesco Mobile
- 20% off all F&F purchases
- 20% off car, pet and home insurance at Tesco bank. T&C’s apply
- 25% off Tesco Café
- 50% off complete glasses purchases & free eye tests (other offers available) at Vision Express
- 50% off health checks at Tesco Pharmacy
- An exclusive deals and discounts website saving you money on everyday purchases, treats for the family, eating out and utility bills for the home
- Cycle to work scheme
- Shuttle Bus Service to/from Hatfield & Welwyn Garden City Station to Welwyn Campus & Hatfield Offices
- Opportunities to get on – take advantage of our ongoing learning opportunities and award-winning training, to help you achieve the job and career you want
- Our Employee Assistance Programme helps you deal with life’s challenges
- Financial wellness – Tesco has partnered with experts to help you make the most of your money
- Get involved in a range of fundraising activities with our long-term charity partners