Product Owner - Data Science
- Virgin Media
- Full Time
About the role
Product Owner - Data Science
Location: Birmingham, Manchester, London (Hammersmith) or Reading (with flexible working patterns to allow home remote working)Virgin Media are on a mission to become the most recommended brand by our customers. At the heart of this strategy is digital innovation and our significant data resources.
We are looking for a product owner to join the team in maximising business value & growth working closely with data scientists, machine learning engineers, digital product teams and the wider business. You will work as part of a high-performing team with a remit to do the right thing, fail fast and learn as you go.
So that's what we're after, but what makes us special?
The telecommunications industry in its current form is pretty uninspiring. But we’re fixated on mixing that up. Our aim is to leave the pack far behind, by delivering some of those once-in-a-lifetime, rocket-to-the-stars ideas that turn the industry and customer expectations on their heads.
And why do we do it?
Well, we make no secret of the fact, we want to become the most recommended brand, by our people and our customers. A massive part of that journey is about how we ensure that our forward-thinking people have a working environment in which they can truly belong and thrive. For us, it's critical that every single person can bring, and be, their whole selves at work, and we're working hard every day to achieve this.
Tell me more, tell me more…The advanced analytics and data science function's purpose is to drive competitive advantage through the creation of data products. They do this by applying statistics and machine learning techniques to uncover insights which allow us to build products to support decision making and decision automation across the business.
As part of this group, the data product team has the remit to build high value, high impact products, always looking for opportunities for automation and value creation using data. We’re growing rapidly and there’s tons of opportunity to work on different problems. With the opportunity to rotate on data products within the team as we grow.
The must haves:
- Articulated the product vision for the team, owning a backlog and the roadmap, as well as defining how success is measured
- Worked closely with stakeholders to understand and validate needs, problems, and opportunities
- Have been responsible for your products Objectives and Key Results, putting them in place with the support of the team and tracking against them
- Ran workshops and ideation sessions with the product team and other teams in the business as and when necessary
- Ensured that the product team know what to focus on and when to change direction: prioritisation is key
Other stuff we’re looking for:
- Experience working in a product role in the technology/customer experience space we need someone that’s comfortable with technical detail and ability to simplify things for non-technical audiences
- Experience of product lifecycle, from initial idea through to shipping a product and ongoing iteration, able to balance the near-term with the longer-term
- Understanding of machine learning techniques and algorithms is beneficial
- Experience working in an agile setup, leading a cross-functional product team
- An innovative and creative problem solver, with the ability to apply analytical rigour and problem-solving skills
- Worked in a fast-paced environment with ability to cut through the noise and keep teams focused to deliver little and often, constantly focusing on where the value is
If you go on to be successful in your application, some of the many benefits include:
25 days' annual leave, plus UK bank holidays.
Annual bonus paid up to 15% of your annual salary
A defined contribution pension scheme, run by Fidelity, matched up to 10%.
Access to wellbeing benefits such as the Unmind App, personal medical cover (which you can opt to upgrade to cover loved ones) and critical illness cover.
Season ticket loans
Your birthday off every year, to treat yourself.
The option to buy and sell up to 5 days leave, to suit your personal needs.
If you think you've got some amazing skills to offer us, and Virgin Media feels like a place where you can belong, we'd love to learn more about you. Once you've submitted an application the next steps of the process, if successful, are likely to include a two-stage interview process including technical and competency assessments.
When you apply, you'll be asked about any adjustments you might need to support the recruitment process. Let us know, and we'll be sure to discuss it with you.
Thanks for your patience in the meantime and for showing an interest in joining the Virgin Media family.