This article was written for Annabel & Grace, which is now part of Rest Less.
Sfougato or Mytilene sponge Course: Main, Vegetarian & VeganCuisine: GreekDifficulty: Easy
Baked in the oven, a sfougato is lighter than an egg dish that’s been fried. It is more like a cross between an omelette and a soufflé. You can substitute extra feta cheese for the ladotyri (cheese preserved in oil) if you aren’t in Greece and can’t find the latter.
2 kg courgettes (zucchini), grated
8 spring onions, finely chopped
3 medium-sized onions, grated
1 cup fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
1 cup dill, finely chopped
250 gr feta cheese
120 gr Mytilini ladotyri cheese (see note above), grated, plus 2-3 tbsp for topping
8 eggs, lightly beaten
3 tbsp breadcrumbs, plus a bit more for lining the baking dish and for topping
3 tbsp all-purpose flour
100 ml olive oil, plus more for greasing the baking dish
Salt, freshly ground black pepper
- Put the grated zucchini in a colander, lightly salt them and leave them for about 10-15 minutes, to get their liquids out.
- Preheat the oven to 180℃/ 350℉ Squeeze the remaining liquid from the zucchini and place the zucchini in a bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix. Grease a baking dish with some olive oil and sprinkle some breadcrumbs to line it. Spread the mix evenly and top with more breadcrumbs and 2-3 tbsp grated ladotyri, or substitute an equal amount of feta.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes until the egg mixture has set and the top is lightly browned. Serve warm with some slightly chilled full-fat Greek yoghurt.
- For more delicious Greek recipes go to https://www.gastronomos.gr/