This article was written for Annabel & Grace, which is now part of Rest Less.
This is one of the voluptuous Nigella’s recipes, but I have added potatoes. Serve with steamed green veg or a baby leaf salad. Either way this is truly scrumptious.
Slow roasted garlic and lemon chicken
Ingredients serves 6
- 1 chicken (approx. 2.25kg / 4½lbs) cut into 10 pieces
- 1 bulb of garlic (separated into unpeeled cloves)
- 2 unwaxed lemons (preferably thin-skinned) – cut into eighths
- New potatoes or old potatoes cut into chunks (however many you like)
- 1 handful fresh thyme
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 150 ml white wine
- black pepper
How to prepare
Pre-heat the oven to 160°C/gas mark 3/325ºF.
- Put the chicken pieces into a roasting tin and add the garlic cloves, potatoes, lemon chunks and the thyme. Add the oil and mix everything together, then spread the mixture out evenly, making sure all the chicken pieces are skin side up.
- Sprinkle over the white wine and grind on some pepper, then cover tightly with foil and put in the oven to cook for 2 hours.
- Remove the foil from the roasting tin, and turn up the oven to 200°C/gas mark 6/400ºF. Cook uncovered for another 30-45 minutes, by which time the skin on the meat will have turned golden brown and the lemons will have begun to scorch and caramelise at the edges.