This article was written for Annabel & Grace, which is now part of Rest Less.
Bang Bang CauliflowerDifficulty: Easy
A sweet and spicy dish, made with siracha, honey and crisp baked cauliflower. Full of flavour and texture.
100g plain or gluten-free flour
1 tsp smoked paprika
½ tsp garlic granules
½ tsp dried oregano
150ml plant-based milk
125g panko breadcrumbs
1 cauliflower, cut into bite-sized florets
cooking oil spray, for baking
3 tbsp sriracha
3 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
1 tbsp runny honey or maple syrup
1 lime, juiced
1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- Heat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Tip the flour into a large bowl along with plenty of seasoning and the paprika, garlic granules and dried oregano. Slowly whisk in the plant-based milk until you have a smooth, thin batter.
- Line a large baking tray with baking paper and keep it close by. Tip the panko breadcrumbs into a shallow bowl. Using a fork, add a cauliflower floret to the batter bowl, tossing to fully coat it, then lift out, letting any excess batter drip off and add to the breadcrumb bowl, tossing to fully coat. Transfer to the baking tray and repeat with the remaining florets.
- Spray the florets lightly with the cooking spray, then transfer the tray to the oven for 25-30 minutes, tossing halfway until golden and crisp. Meanwhile, combine the sriracha, sweet chilli sauce, honey and lime juice in a small pan and place over a medium heat. Heat until just warmed through.
- Put the crisp cauliflower florets into a large bowl and pour over the sauce from the pan. Toss really well, then add to a shallow serving bowl. Scatter with the toasted sesame seeds and spring onion.
- Use maple syrup instead of honey to make this completely plant based.