If you’re struggling for gift ideas in the countdown to Christmas, we’re here to help. A camera is the perfect gift for anyone who takes photos often or is looking to reignite a passion for an old hobby. High quality photos are priceless, and can help you treasure your favourite memories for years to come.
However, with so many camera choices out there, it can be difficult to pick the right one. We’ve done the hard work for you by pulling together a list of the top cameras for photography enthusiasts. Now’s the time to snap up a high-quality camera and start making memories.
(Prices accurate at time of posting)
1. The Best All In One:
Sony DSC-HX350 Digital Compact Bridge Camera with 50x Optical Zoom
£269 (RRP £379)
This reasonably priced digital camera will give you all the same benefits as an SLR without the hassle of changing and carrying around extra lenses – and it still has an impressive 50x zoom. It’s compact and allows photography beginners to produce professional quality photos quickly and easily.
- Capture 20.4 MP detail, even in low light
- BIONZ X for more detail and less noise
- High quality Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T lens with powerful 50x optical zoom
- Film smooth, steady video clips in full HD 24p with optical steady shot active mode
- Rechargeable battery pack NP-BX1, AC adaptorAC-UUD12, micro USB cable, shoulder strap, shoe cap, lens cap, instruction manual
2. The Robust Camera
Nikon KeyMission 170 Action Camera-Black
If you love to travel and you want a camera that can keep up with your latest adventure, whilst staying in top condition, then this could be the camera for you. Its small and light and easily fits in the palm of your hand or in your pocket, making it easy to hold onto during the toughest feat. It’s shockproof and waterproof, allowing it to withstand everything from deep sea diving to rock climbing!
- Dynamic, 170° ultra-wide-angle action video with e-VR. Exposure Compensation : minus 2.0 to plus 2.0 EV in steps of 1/3 EV
- 4K UHD video recording and monitor size is 1.5 inch diagonal
- Waterproof, shock-resistant and Dustproof – ready for the toughest mission
- Links with SnapBridge
3. The Professional Camera for Beginners:
Canon EOS 4000D DSLR Camera + EF-S 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 III Lens + ES100 Bag + 64GB SanDisk Card
The Canon EOS 4000D DSLR Camera is the definition of ‘point and click’, whilst still taking beautiful photos and movies. It’s easy and stress-free to set up and use on the move and you’re new to photography,you’ll find it’s easy to follow guidance still allows you to express your creativity. Explore the power of DSLR and interchangeable lenses with these mid priced camera.
- EOS 4000D body, Eyecup Ef, camera cover R-F-3, camera strap EW-400D, battery pack LP-E10, battery charger LC-E10E, power cable for battery charger, getting started guide
- Canon Camera Bag ES100
- SanDisk Ultra SDXC Memory Card Up to 80 MB/s, Class 10, U1, 64 GB, Black
- Can store many pictures and quick transfer speeds up to 80 MB/s compatibility, Compatible with SDHC/SDXC and SDHC-I/SDXC-I devices
4. The Best Camera for Online Photo Sharing:
Nikon D5300 + 18-105 mm + VR Kit
With built-in Wi-Fi and GPS, this impressive 24.2- MP DX-format camera lets you capture and share the magic of your world in incredible detail. The Wi-Fi function connects the camera directly to a smart device, so you can share photos right after you’ve taken them. The GPS function adds location information to photos, making it easy to add your pictures to maps of the world and share your travel photography with others. Thanks to the large vari-angle monitor, it’s simple to shoot photos and movies from exciting new perspectives; and powerful low-light performance (extendable up to ISO 25, 600) ensures clear shots in dark situations. This camera is a little pricey, but it definitely delivers.
- Full 24.2 MP power
- 39-point AF system
- 2,016 pixel RGB metering sensor
- 5 fps continuous shooting
- D5300 Camera Body; 18-105 mm VR Lens; BS-1 accessory shoe cover; DK-25 rubber eyecup
5. The Compact Alternative to a DSLR:
Canon EOS M5 Mirrorless Camera with EF-M 18-150 mm Lens
£929 (RRP £1,399)
At the pricier end of the range is the Canon EOS M5 which has enhanced image quality, a lightweight, portable design and fast autofocus and processing to help you capture that unforgettable shot. It has the same qualities as a DSLR, but its mirrorless feature allows it to be much more compact. Whether you’re navigating the tight alleys of an old European city, or enjoying the view after a strenuous hike, the EOS M5 will let you take advantage of every photo opportunity, more conveniently. Inside its rugged frame is a 24.2 MP CMOS (APS-C) sensor that’s able to capture high-resolution images even in low-light situations. Easy to keep on hand for every situation, it is also fast enough to capture the moment, which quickly locks onto your subject.
- 24.2 MP APS-C size sensor for images packed with intricate detail
- Sharp results from an AF system as fast as DSLR
- Track moving objects, using dual pixel CMOS AF to keep them in focus
- Wireless control and file transfer made easy, with Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and NFC, electronic view finder
- Range of ultra-portable EOS M lenses available