Review insurance for your home and possessions on separation

Money Advice Service

If you’re moving to a new home after you and your ex-partner have split up or your ex-partner is moving out, you may need to change your existing insurance or buy a new policy. You may also have to review or buy car or pet insurance. Make sure you get the right cover at the best price.

Removing your ex-partner from your policy

If you need to remove your ex-partner’s name from your home insurance policy or you need to come off theirs, your insurance company will want to know you both agree to this.

Working out the insurance you need

As part of your split, you might take over the house or a tenancy agreement.

Use our Budget planner to work out the right choice for you.

Or you might buy a car when previously you owned one with your ex-partner.

It’s likely that you’ll need different or additional insurance cover.


  1. Draw up a list of things you own, such as your home (unless it’s rented), possessions you have in your home, car, pets and gadgets
  2. Check if you already have insurance for these and if so, whether it’s the right level of cover. If you don’t have insurance, consider whether you need it
  3. Shop around for the right policy
  4. Budget for the costs of extra insurance you might need

Arranging buildings insurance

You will need both buildings and contents insurance if you own your home (except for leasehold flats).

With leasehold flats, the landlord will normally arrange buildings insurance.

Buildings insurance is designed to pay out if your home is damaged by something like a flood, a fire or a storm.

If you are taking out insurance on your home, make sure you shop around for the best policy.

Don’t just choose the cheapest one, but make sure it will provide the cover you need for where you live.

Find out more in Home insurance – how to get the best deal.

Arranging contents insurance

Whether you own or rent your property, you will need contents insurance.

If you need buildings insurance as well, you can buy combined buildings and contents policies.

If you don’t need buildings insurance, you can buy contents-only cover.

This will pay out if your possessions are stolen from your home or damaged by a fire or flood, for example.

Read how to get the best policy in Contents insurance – choose the right policy and cover.

Insuring your car

If you’ve been a named driver on your ex-partner’s car insurance, you might find you don’t have a ‘no-claims’ discount in your own right.

This is a discount off the full price of insurance which you earn for every year you don’t make a claim.

If you don’t have a no-claims discount you might find it hard to get a quote for car insurance from some companies, and where you can get a quote, the premiums are likely to be higher.

Read more in Car insurance – how to get the best deal.

Insuring your pet

Caring for a pet can be expensive and you might think insurance is a luxury you can do without when you’re dealing with other pressures of separation.

But before you make up your mind – think about how you would pay a vet’s bill if your pet was to become ill or have an accident

If you decide to buy pet insurance, it’s worth knowing that policies can vary widely.

Some pay out for a limited time while others will pay out for ongoing conditions (such as arthritis or diabetes).

Read our helpful guide Pet insurance – do you need it?

Find out how to get the right policy at the best price in Pet insurance – choose the right policy and cover.

Insuring your gadgets

If you have an expensive mobile phone, tablet computer or laptop, you might want to take out insurance in case:

  • You lose them
  • They are stolen, or
  • They get damaged.

Check your home insurance cover first, as this might insure gadgets you own.

If not, you might want to buy standalone cover.

But make sure you check the policy information so you know when the policy will pay out.

Find out whether you need this insurance in Do you need mobile phone insurance?

Your next step

Check out Your financial position in a new relationship

This article is provided by the Money Advice Service.

Links with an * by them are affiliate links which help Rest Less stay free to use as they can result in a payment or benefit to us. You can read more on how we make money here.

Get the latest ideas, advice and inspiration​

No spam. Just useful and interesting stuff, straight to your inbox. Covering finance, learning, jobs, volunteering, lifestyle and more.

By providing us your email address you agree to receive emails and communications from us and acknowledge that your personal data will be used in accordance with our Privacy Policy and Terms and Conditions. You can unsubscribe at any time by following the link in our emails.