Dividing the family home and mortgage during separation if you were cohabiting

Money Advice Service

If you are splitting up from your partner and own your home between you, one of the biggest financial decisions you could face is what happens to it. Find out what you need to do and what your options are if you are not married or in a civil partnership.

First steps to take

This article is aimed at couples who are not married or in a civil partnership and who are trying to work out what to do about the family home after the breakdown of their relationship.

If you are in the early stages of separating and want some information about protecting your rights to live in the home, read our guide Protecting your home ownership rights during separation.

Understanding how the home can be divided

If you and your partner jointly own the family home, you have several options about what to do with it when you separate.

You might decide to:

  1. Sell the home and both of you move out. You could use the money you’ve raised to put towards buying another home for each of you, if you can afford to do this.
  2. Arrange for one of you to buy the other out.
  3. Keep the home and not change who owns it. One partner could continue to live in it, perhaps until your children are 18 or leave school.
  4. Transfer part of the value of the property from one partner to the other so that your children have somewhere to live. The partner who gave up a share of their ownership rights would keep a stake or ‘interest’ in the home. This means that when it is sold he or she will receive a percentage of its value.

Prioritising the needs of your children

If you and your partner are splitting up and you have children, it’s important to think about where they will live.

As couples who live together, you don’t have any obligation to support each other financially after your break-up, but as parents you’re expected to pay towards the cost of your children.

One parent might be able to make a claim against the other for the right to remain in the family home.

How you do this and the laws that give you these rights vary around the UK.

It doesn’t mean you or your ex-partner would own the home or a share of it, but they might be given the right to live there for a number of years, usually until the youngest child reaches a certain age.

Making a claim for a share of the home’s value

If the home is in your ex-partner’s name only, you might be able to make a claim for a share of its value.

There are different laws that enable you to do this, depending on where in the UK you are.

This is a very complex area of the law and it’s essential to take advice from a solicitor who specialises in the law relating to cohabiting couples.

Making a claim in England or Wales

You might be able to establish what’s called in legal terms a ‘beneficial interest’ if you’ve paid towards the mortgage, or towards improvements or an extension.

You might also have a ‘beneficial interest’ if, for example, your ex-partner bought the home in his or her name but you had an understanding or agreement that you’d have a share in its value when it was sold.

Making a financial contribution doesn’t mean you’re automatically entitled to a share in the property.

But you can make a claim even without you and your ex-partner having signed a formal legal document saying you’re entitled to a share in the property.

Making a claim in Northern Ireland

You are entitled to receive back any money, such as mortgage payments, you have contributed towards the family home; however, two conditions must be met:

  • You must be able to provide evidence of the payments you’ve made, through bank statements or similar.
  • You will only be able to receive a payment if there was enough equity in the property at the time you and your ex-partner separated.

Making a claim in Scotland

You might be able to make a claim if you have been ‘economically disadvantaged’ (you are financially worse off) or your ex-partner has been ‘economically advantaged’ as a result of the relationship.

This could be because:

  • You’d given up work to look after your children.
  • You were persuaded by your ex-partner to sell your property and move in with him or her.
  • Your ex-partner is able to buy property because of the financial contribution you’ve made.

You only have one year from when you separate to make a claim, so you should think about taking advice as soon as you can.

Sorting out the joint mortgage

Many couples who have a joint mortgage and who split up, usually try and separate the mortgage so only one partner has their name on it.

Whether this is possible depends on the couple’s financial circumstances.

The advantages of doing this are:

  • The partner who stays in the house doesn’t have to rely on their ex-partner for their mortgage.
  • The partner whose name is taken off the mortgage should be able to borrow more to buy themselves a home than if their name was still on their ex-partner’s mortgage.
  • Both partners might be able to break the link that ties their credit files together. If you have a joint debt with your ex-partner (such as a mortgage or a loan), your credit files are connected. That means how you manage your debts will affect your ex-partner if he or she applies for credit, and vice versa.
Read more about your credit report in How to check your credit report.

Talking to your mortgage lender

If you want to take over the mortgage in your name alone, your lender will want to make sure that you can afford the payments.

Under Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) rules, lenders must ask in-depth questions and carry out more checks to make sure that you can afford a mortgage.

Options if you can’t afford the mortgage on your own

If you or can’t afford to take over the mortgage, you might be able to get a ‘guarantor mortgage’.

This is a mortgage where a close relative agrees to guarantee the mortgage payments if you can’t.

Becoming a guarantor is a serious legal step as it means the guarantor is responsible for paying the whole mortgage if the mortgage borrower cannot.

Make sure whoever acts as your guarantor takes independent legal advice and talks to a mortgage broker, before agreeing to anything.

Our guide on Finding the right mortgage deal can help you decide.

Your next step

This article is provided by the Money Advice Service.

Some important information about Rest Less Money

We want you to understand the positives, but also the limitations of using our site. We operate in a journalistic manner and therefore all information, guidance or suggestions provided are intended to be general in nature, and you should not rely on any of the information on the site in connection with the making of any financial decision.

When we set out to build Rest Less Money, we wanted to be a trusted place where you could find helpful information about financial matters affecting the over 50s. As a free to use resource, we try hard to provide the best information we can, but we cannot guarantee that we won’t occasionally make mistakes. So please note that you use the information on our site at your own risk, and we can’t accept liability if things go wrong.

Key things to remember when using Rest Less Money:

We do not offer financial advice – As a journalistic site, it’s important to know that we do not provide financial advice. You should always do your own research before choosing any financial product so that you can be certain it is right for you and your specific circumstances. If you are in any doubt, please seek professional financial advice from a regulated financial advisor.

No Liability – please note that you use the information on Rest Less Money at your own risk and we can’t accept liability for how you choose to use the information given on our site. We will often provide links to content or products and services available on other third-party websites. These are provided purely for your convenience and we cannot be held responsible for any content, or any of the products and services offered on any website that we link to.


Accuracy of Information – We try to make sure that all the information provided on Rest Less Money is correct at the time of publishing as we want it to be the most helpful resource possible. Sadly, we are not perfect however, and so we can make no guarantees as to the completeness, accuracy, adequacy or suitability of the information available on the site.
Whilst we work hard to try and provide accurate information, deals and prices can change, so whilst they may be correct at the time of writing, providers may subsequently decide to alter them later – so always double check first.

A final note on the Rest Less Community Forums – always remember that anyone can post their opinion on the Rest Less Community Forums, so it can be very different from our own opinion and may not be factual or well researched. Always be wary of any content posted on the forums and be sure to do your own research and due diligence on anything suggested. 

We hope you find Rest Less Money a useful resource and we would welcome your feedback at [email protected] on how to make it even better. For more information on any of the above you can read our full terms and conditions.

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

Get the latest advice, news and inspiration

No spam. Just interesting and useful stuff, straight to your inbox. For free.

By providing us your email address you agree to receive emails and communications from us and acknowledge that your personal data will be used in accordance with our Privacy Policy. You can unsubscribe at any time by following the link in our emails.

Join the Rest Less Money Club

Sign up today to get early access. Coming soon.