Dividing the family home on separation if you were cohabiting – renting

Money Advice Service

One or both of you may want to carry on renting your home after your break-up, especially if it’s convenient for work, your children’s school, or near friends and family. The options available if you’re not married or in a civil partnership depend on your tenancy agreement and whether you’re renting from a private or social landlord.

Securing the rights to your home

If you are changing the terms of your tenancy, get the landlord to agree to this in writing before you end your existing tenancy. Once you’ve ended your tenancy you will have no rights to remain in the property.

This article is aimed at couples who are not married or in a civil partnership and who are trying to work out what to do about the family home after they split up.

If you want information about what to do in the early stages, read our guide Protect your rights to your home during separation – renting.

Getting expert advice

As a general rule, it’s better if you can agree with your ex-partner what you will do about your home.

However, housing law is very complicated.

That means you might have rights to live in a property, transfer or end the tenancy – or responsibilities to pay the rent – that you’re unaware of if you try to work things out yourself.

It’s a good idea to talk to an adviser from a housing rights charity (as well as to a family lawyer).

Dividing the family home through mediation

If you and your ex-partner don’t agree about what should happen – perhaps if you’re both on the tenancy agreement, or you have children, you could consider using a mediator, who’s an impartial third party.

You can find a mediator:

What the court can decide

In some cases, you might be able to go to court for permission to carry on living in the property.

If you have children who will live with you for most or all of the time, you might be able to go to court to get the tenancy transferred into your name.

The priority should be to make sure that your children have somewhere suitable to live, especially if they are younger (still at school).

What are your options if you’re the sole tenant?

If the tenancy is in your name alone you can ask your ex-partner to leave, although they might be able to go to court to get the right to stay there.

Whoever is staying must make sure they can afford to pay the rent.

Renting from a private landlord

Your ex-partner doesn’t have any rights to stay in your home, unless they have a court order saying they can.

You can ask him or her to leave and they would not have the right to stay in the long term.

If you decide to leave the property – and are happy for your ex to remain –you’ll have to end your tenancy formally to allow your ex-partner can take up a new tenancy.

Always put in writing what you’ve agreed verbally with your landlord: an email or even a text might be acceptable.

It’s important to do this; otherwise, you could be accused of abandoning the tenancy and could be asked to pay the rent after you’ve moved out.

Renting from a social landlord

Find out if you have the right to sign over your tenancy to your ex-partner.

It will all depend on what’s in your existing tenancy agreement with your social landlord (housing association, housing cooperative, the Housing Executive, local authority).

You might be giving up very valuable rights by signing over a tenancy, so take advice before you do anything.

What are the options if you’re both on the rental agreement?

If you are both on the rental agreement, both of you are responsible for paying the rent until the tenancy ends.

Try and agree between you what you will do.

  • You might decide that both of you will move out.
  • You might agree that one person moves out and the tenancy is signed over to the other partner’s name alone.

Either of you can give notice to end the tenancy, which might be a problem if your break-up is acrimonious.

Renting from a private landlord

Either or both of you can continue living in the property as long as your tenancy agreement lasts and you can pay the rent.

Depending on what the tenancy agreement says, you might not have an automatic right for the tenancy to be taken over by just one of you.

However, your landlord might be happy for you to do this as long as you can afford the rent.

Your landlord might ask for references or a ‘guarantor’ (who will promise to pay the rent if you can’t), and might charge for this.

If one of you wants to stay in the property, don’t end your existing tenancy without getting a new one from your landlord.

Once you have ended your tenancy, you will have no rights to remain there.

If you want to move out, you are responsible for making sure the rent is paid (and any damages paid for) until the end of your tenancy or notice period.

You’re each responsible – so if your ex-partner can’t or won’t pay – the landlord could ask you for the full amount, and vice versa.

Renting from a social landlord

You both have the right to stay in the property as long as your tenancy lasts and you can pay the rent.

You might be able to sign over the tenancy to your partner – depending on what the tenancy says.

But some social landlords have a policy of not automatically converting a joint tenancy to a sole tenancy when a relationship breaks down.

Instead, they will look at each individual case.

If you have what’s called a ‘secure tenancy’ it gives you the right to live in the property for life – but you’ll lose this very valuable right if you end the tenancy.

Take specialist advice before deciding whether to take this course of action.

What are the options if the tenancy isn’t in your name?

If the tenancy isn’t in your name it might be hard to get the long-term right to stay there.

You might be able to get an ‘occupation order’ (‘occupation rights’ in Scotland) in the short term and a tenancy transfer as a long-term solution, but this will depend upon the circumstances.

Renting from a private landlord

If your ex-partner, whose name is on the tenancy, is happy to move out and for you to stay, you should both ask the landlord if you can do this.

The landlord might agree to you doing this as long as they believe you can cover the rent.

However, they’ll want to know that your ex-partner is happy to give up the tenancy, and the landlord will want him or her to provide something in writing (it can be as informal as a text or an email) to show this is the case.

Renting from a social landlord

If the rental agreement is in your ex-partner’s name only and he or she agrees to you taking over the tenancy agreement, you should contact your social landlord (and perhaps a housing charity) to find out what you need to do.

Ending your tenancy early

If you have started a fixed-term tenancy with a private landlord, you probably can’t end it early.

By law you are responsible for paying the rent until the fixed term ends.

Talk to your landlord as they might be prepared to be flexible; otherwise, you could lose part or all of your deposit.

If you’re renting a property from a social landlord, you might be able to end your tenancy early, but think carefully before giving up valuable housing rights.

Your next step

This article is provided by the Money Advice Service.

Some important information about Rest Less Money

We want you to understand the positives, but also the limitations of using our site. We operate in a journalistic manner and therefore all information, guidance or suggestions provided are intended to be general in nature, and you should not rely on any of the information on the site in connection with the making of any financial decision.

When we set out to build Rest Less Money, we wanted to be a trusted place where you could find helpful information about financial matters affecting the over 50s. As a free to use resource, we try hard to provide the best information we can, but we cannot guarantee that we won’t occasionally make mistakes. So please note that you use the information on our site at your own risk, and we can’t accept liability if things go wrong.

Key things to remember when using Rest Less Money:

We do not offer financial advice – As a journalistic site, it’s important to know that we do not provide financial advice. You should always do your own research before choosing any financial product so that you can be certain it is right for you and your specific circumstances. If you are in any doubt, please seek professional financial advice from a regulated financial advisor.

No Liability – please note that you use the information on Rest Less Money at your own risk and we can’t accept liability for how you choose to use the information given on our site. We will often provide links to content or products and services available on other third-party websites. These are provided purely for your convenience and we cannot be held responsible for any content, or any of the products and services offered on any website that we link to.


Accuracy of Information – We try to make sure that all the information provided on Rest Less Money is correct at the time of publishing as we want it to be the most helpful resource possible. Sadly, we are not perfect however, and so we can make no guarantees as to the completeness, accuracy, adequacy or suitability of the information available on the site.
Whilst we work hard to try and provide accurate information, deals and prices can change, so whilst they may be correct at the time of writing, providers may subsequently decide to alter them later – so always double check first.

A final note on the Rest Less Community Forums – always remember that anyone can post their opinion on the Rest Less Community Forums, so it can be very different from our own opinion and may not be factual or well researched. Always be wary of any content posted on the forums and be sure to do your own research and due diligence on anything suggested. 

We hope you find Rest Less Money a useful resource and we would welcome your feedback at [email protected] on how to make it even better. For more information on any of the above you can read our full terms and conditions.

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

Get the latest advice, news and inspiration

No spam. Just interesting and useful stuff, straight to your inbox. For free.

By providing us your email address you agree to receive emails and communications from us and acknowledge that your personal data will be used in accordance with our Privacy Policy. You can unsubscribe at any time by following the link in our emails.

Join the Rest Less Money Club

Sign up today to get early access. Coming soon.