Local authority funding for care costs – do you qualify?

Money Advice Service

If you need support with day-to-day tasks, or you need to move into a care home, your local authority might help with the costs of care. Exactly how much you get will depend on your care needs and how much you can afford to pay.

What care services do local authorities provide?

As well as providing places in care homes, local authorities can help you stay in your own home if you have care needs.

Services they provide include:

  • meals
  • carers
  • transport
  • home modifications
  • equipment that helps with the tasks of daily living.

Some services are provided free but your local authority will only pay for other services if your income and savings are low.

If you don’t fully qualify for help, you’ll either need to pay something towards your care costs, or meet the full cost yourself.

If you have a disability or complex medical condition that means you have healthcare needs rather than social care needs, you might qualify for NHS funding.

How to find out if you qualify for local authority funding for care costs

Contact the social services department of your local authority to find out whether you’re eligible for funding.

If you have savings and assets of more than the amount in this table, you’ll have to pay for your own care:

Region Savings threshold for local authority funding in 2019/20
England £23,250
Wales £24,000 (care at home) or £50,000 (care in a care home)
Scotland £27,250
Northern Ireland £23,250

If your income and savings are above this limit it’s still worth contacting the local authority.

As you still have the right to a care needs assessment, regardless of your financial situation.

Your local authority or trust might still take some of your income, if you’re below these limits.

Getting a local authority care needs assessment

Before they can help, your local council must carry out a care needs assessment. It’s free and it’s your legal right to have one.

You should not be refused an assessment because the local authority thinks your needs aren’t great enough or that you won’t qualify for financial help.

The local authority will identify your care needs and check that they meet a nationally agreed set of criteria.

If you qualify for help, they have a legal duty to provide or arrange the services you need.

They will then carry out a financial assessment to work out if you should pay towards any services you need.

Find out more about the care needs assessment.

If you live in Northern Ireland

If you live in Northern Ireland, your local Health and Social Care Trust will carry out a social care needs assessment.


You can also assess your own care needs or complete an assessment for someone else.

This could be done online and sets out in your own words the care that you think you, or a person you care for, might need.

If your local authority agrees with this self-assessment, you’ll be able to access the same range of support services as if you’d been through a full care needs assessment from a local authority care specialist.

Financial assessment and eligibility

If you qualify for help, the local authority will carry out a financial assessment, called a ‘means test’.

This helps to work out how much you should pay towards the cost of your care.

The outcome of the financial assessment

The outcome of the financial assessment will be that the local authority will either:

  • agree to meet the full cost of your care needs
  • agree to meet some of the cost (and you’ll need to top up the rest)
  • leave you meet the full cost of your care.

If your local authority is supporting you they will then set up a personal budget for you which keeps track of the costs of your care

Deciding who manages your personal care budget

If you do qualify for financial help, you can:

  • ask your local authority to arrange the care services for you
  • receive direct payments from the council and organise things yourself. This can mean greater independence, choice and control of your care and your finances
  • ask someone else to manage your budget and organise services for you. This could be a family member, friend, care professional or an independent advocate.
Read our guide Direct payments explained.

What to do if you don’t agree with the council’s decision

You can challenge your local authority’s decision if:

  • they refuse to pay for your care services
  • you don’t think you’ve been offered enough support to meet your needs.

This article is provided by the Money Advice Service.

Some important information about Rest Less Money

We want you to understand the positives, but also the limitations of using our site. We operate in a journalistic manner and therefore all information, guidance or suggestions provided are intended to be general in nature, and you should not rely on any of the information on the site in connection with the making of any financial decision.

When we set out to build Rest Less Money, we wanted to be a trusted place where you could find helpful information about financial matters affecting the over 50s. As a free to use resource, we try hard to provide the best information we can, but we cannot guarantee that we won’t occasionally make mistakes. So please note that you use the information on our site at your own risk, and we can’t accept liability if things go wrong.

Key things to remember when using Rest Less Money:

We do not offer financial advice – As a journalistic site, it’s important to know that we do not provide financial advice. You should always do your own research before choosing any financial product so that you can be certain it is right for you and your specific circumstances. If you are in any doubt, please seek professional financial advice from a regulated financial advisor.

No Liability – please note that you use the information on Rest Less Money at your own risk and we can’t accept liability for how you choose to use the information given on our site. We will often provide links to content or products and services available on other third-party websites. These are provided purely for your convenience and we cannot be held responsible for any content, or any of the products and services offered on any website that we link to.


Accuracy of Information – We try to make sure that all the information provided on Rest Less Money is correct at the time of publishing as we want it to be the most helpful resource possible. Sadly, we are not perfect however, and so we can make no guarantees as to the completeness, accuracy, adequacy or suitability of the information available on the site.
Whilst we work hard to try and provide accurate information, deals and prices can change, so whilst they may be correct at the time of writing, providers may subsequently decide to alter them later – so always double check first.

A final note on the Rest Less Community Forums – always remember that anyone can post their opinion on the Rest Less Community Forums, so it can be very different from our own opinion and may not be factual or well researched. Always be wary of any content posted on the forums and be sure to do your own research and due diligence on anything suggested. 

We hope you find Rest Less Money a useful resource and we would welcome your feedback at [email protected] on how to make it even better. For more information on any of the above you can read our full terms and conditions.

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

Get the latest advice, news and inspiration

No spam. Just interesting and useful stuff, straight to your inbox. For free.

By providing us your email address you agree to receive emails and communications from us and acknowledge that your personal data will be used in accordance with our Privacy Policy. You can unsubscribe at any time by following the link in our emails.

Join the Rest Less Money Club

Sign up today to get early access. Coming soon.