Where can I get help and advice about benefits

Money Advice Service

Working out what benefits or tax credits you’re entitled to can be tricky, especially with recent welfare changes. Find out where to get free expert advice online, face-to-face or by calling an advice helpline.

Citizens Advice

Citizens Advice can give you free, confidential, impartial and independent benefits advice.

Advice offered

As well as benefits advice, they can help you resolve problems with debt, housing and many more issues.

Services provided

  • Online
  • Home visits
  • Face-to-face
  • Advice helpline
  • Email (in some cases)

Suitable for


Contact Citizens Advice

Find your local bureau to arrange an appointment or view a list of phone numbers.

Law Centres

Law Centres provide free legal advice and representation to disadvantaged people.

Advice offered

As well as benefits and welfare rights advice, Law Centres offer legal advice on issues including employment and housing.

Services provided

  • Face-to-face
  • Telephone (in some areas)

Suitable for


Contact your local Law Centre

Macmillan benefits advisers for people affected by cancer

A Macmillan benefits adviser can help you work out what financial help you’re entitled to.

Advice offered

They offer specialist advice to help ease money worries.

Including information on:

  • loans
  • grants
  • benefits
  • tax credits.

Services provided

  • Face-to-face
  • Home visits
  • Telephone

Suitable for

Anyone affected by cancer.

Find a Macmillan benefits adviser

Find a Macmillan benefits adviser near you

Age UK benefits advice for older people

Some local branches of Age UK offer a free, confidential benefits advice service.

Advice offered

Practical assistance to make sure you’re getting all the benefits you’re entitled to.

Services provided

  • Face-to-face
  • Home visits
  • Telephone
  • Help with completing claim forms

Suitable for

Anyone who is over State Pension age and living in the area covered by the local branch.

Contact Age UK

Call the Age UK Helpline: 0800 169 6565 (8am-7pm, 365 days a year)

Go to the Age UK website

Or put ‘Age UK’ plus the name of your local area into a search engine.

Gingerbread Single Parent Helpline

Gingerbread provides advice and practical support for single parents, including advice on benefits and tax credits.

You can call free on 0808 802 0925 (Monday: 10am to 6pm, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: 10am to 4pm, Wednesday: 10am-1pm and 5pm-7pm)

Other free help and advice

Debt advice

If you’re worried about keeping up with debt repayments there is lots of free, confidential help and advice available.

Find out more by following the link below:

Housing advice

If you have rent or mortgage arrears or you’re worried about losing your home, Shelter offers confidential advice on a range of housing issues.

This article is provided by the Money Advice Service.

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

Get the latest advice, news and inspiration

No spam. Just interesting and useful stuff, straight to your inbox. For free.

By providing us your email address you agree to receive emails and communications from us and acknowledge that your personal data will be used in accordance with our Privacy Policy. You can unsubscribe at any time by following the link in our emails.