If you previously served in the Armed Forces (making you a veteran), then there may be a range of benefits available to you. 

War Pension Scheme (WPS)

War Pension Scheme (WPS) can often be claimed by those who have an injury, illness or disability which has been caused or made worse by a result of time spent serving in Her Majesty’s (HM) Armed Forces. These cover a wide range of illnesses, injuries and disabilities, from amputations to minor fractures, through to mental disorders such as depression or post-traumatic stress disorder.

You may be eligible to make a claim under the War Pension Scheme (WPS) if you are:

  • no longer serving in HM Armed Forces and you became injured and/or disabled before 6 April 2005
  • your injury resulted directly from your time serving in HM Armed Forces

If you’re eligible to receive benefits under the War Pension Scheme (WPS), you’ll get one of two awards, depending on how the type and severity of your injury, illness or disability:

  • a pension amount, paid weekly or monthly
  • a lump sum payment

Your claim will be assessed based on medical advice and the extent of your disability will be measured using a percentage score. If your level of disability is rated at 20% or more, you’ll be paid a regular pension. If it’s assessed at less than 20%, then you will receive a lump sum gratuity payment. The exact amounts for each of these will depend on the extent of your disability and how long you are likely to remain disabled for.

It is important that you claim as soon as possible because claims cannot be backdated – so any benefit will only be paid from the date that the claim is made.

Armed Forces Compensation Scheme (AFCS)

You may be able to claim benefit under the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme (AFCS) if your illness or injury was caused as a result of service on or after 6 April 2005. You can still claim this even if you are still in the Armed Forces.

Criminal Injuries Compensation (Overseas) Scheme (CICO)

You may be able to claim benefit under the Criminal Injuries Compensation (Overseas) Scheme if you or your dependents were the victim of a violent war crime and left with an injury or disability whilst you were serving abroad.

Guaranteed Income Payment (GIP)

If you were very severely injured or disabled whilst serving in HM Armed Forces, when you are discharged from hospital, you may be eligible to receive a tax-free monthly payment for the rest of your life. The amount you receive will depend on your salary, how old you are and how severe your injury or disability is.

Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP)

If you are receiving Guaranteed Income Payment (GIP) and it makes up 50% of your salary or more, then you may also be eligible to claim Armed Forces Independence Payment – which is £148.85 per week. This benefit replaces Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for people who have become ill or disabled as a result of serving in HM Armed Forces.

I’m a veteran - how do I make a claim for any of the benefits above?

To make a claim for any of the benefits above, it’s best to contact Veterans UK for a claim form, on 0808 191 4218 (call charges may apply).