Car insurance for over 50s
You could save up to £490* a year on your car insurance. Compare car insurance quotes from over 110 providers and see how much you could save today.
Compare car insurance quotes for over 50s
Car insurance premiums have a habit of increasing every year if you auto-renew, even if you haven’t made a claim. In fact, the FCA estimates that around 6 million policyholders don’t get a good deal on their home or motor insurance.
Don’t automatically accept the quote offered by your existing car insurance provider without seeing if you can find a better deal elsewhere. If your car insurance is up for renewal, you can compare quotes to see if you could get a better deal.
Why use Rest Less?
- Enter a few details and get a quote online in minutes
- You could save up to £490* on your car insurance
- Compare car insurance quotes from over 110 leading providers in the UK
- Get helpful reminders when your insurance renewal is due
*51% of consumers could save £490.26 on their Car Insurance. The saving was calculated by comparing the cheapest price found with the average of the next four cheapest prices quoted by insurance providers on Seopa Ltd’s insurance comparison website. This is based on representative cost savings from June 2023 data. The savings you could achieve are dependent on your individual circumstances and how you selected your current insurance supplier.
Is car insurance for over 50s cheaper?
Car insurance tends to be a bit cheaper for those aged between 50 and 70 than for younger drivers, as they have so much experience under their belts. However, insurers factor in all sorts of things to decide how much you’ll pay in premiums, such as your occupation, claims history and the age and value of your car.
The best way to make an informed choice is to compare car insurance quotes from several different providers and see who can offer you the best deal.
How do I find the right car insurance?
Enter your details
Enter a few details about you, your car and the insurance cover you’re looking for.
See and compare car insurance quotes from over 110 providers in the UK.
You could save up to £490*. Find the right insurance deal for you and submit your application.
How to save on your over 50s car insurance premium?
Here are some tips to help you lower the cost of your car insurance premiums:
- Consider if you need the optional extras. Optional add-ons such as breakdown cover could hike up the price of your premium.
- Make sure your mileage is correct. The more you drive, the higher your car insurance premiums will be. Make sure you give an accurate representation of your miles.
- Pay your premium annually rather than monthly. You could save 20% or more on your car insurance by paying an annual lumpsum upfront.
- Avoid auto-renewal. Even if you haven’t made a claim, your car insurance premium is likely to be more expensive if you stick with the same provider. Compare quotes from car insurance providers to see how much you could save.
You can find more tips to reduce your car insurance quote in this article: Five ways to cut car insurance costs. One of the easiest ways to find cheap over 50s car insurance is to compare quotes online. You can compare car insurance policies based on price, cover level or payment type – and you could save up to £490*.
Frequently asked questions
Should I use a specialist over 50s car insurance provider?
You’ll probably be offered cheap car insurance by any insurer irrespective of your age provided you don’t have a history of accidents or points on your licence.
However, buying car insurance from providers who cater specifically to the over 50s has its advantages, like getting cheaper add-ons to your policy. They also tend to have more favourable upper age limits, unless you’re driving into your 80s, in which case your premiums will probably increase.
Why is car insurance cheaper for the over 50s?
Car insurance for the over 50s is often cheaper because they tend to be experienced drivers with plenty of years behind the wheel, and therefore less at risk of accidents. That said, there are several factors besides your age that can affect how cheap or expensive your insurance will be.
How much does car insurance for the over 50s cost?
The average cost of car insurance for drivers over 50 was £350 between August and November 2021, according to Consumer Intelligence, less than half of the the average cost of car insurance for all age groups and the lowest average out of any age group overall.
Do I need a health check to buy over 50s car insurance?
No – you don’t need to get a health check to buy over 50s car insurance. However, if you have a medical condition that affects your ability to drive then you’ll need to let the DVLA know and be honest about it with your insurance provider.
What policy extras do I need if I’m over 50?
There’s no requirement to get policy extras if you don’t want them, but they can help provide some extra peace of mind on the road.
Some extras you might want to consider include breakdown cover, legal assistance cover, windshield cover, and cover for a replacement car if you need one.
Why might someone over 50 pay more for car insurance?
While car insurance tends to be cheaper for experienced drivers over 50, this isn’t always going to be the case. Other things that can make a difference to your premiums include your occupation, the age and value of your car, your driving habits, your health, and your claims history.
What does car insurance cover?
The type of insurance you need depends on the level of cover you require. There are three levels of cover available which you can choose from based on your individual circumstances.
- Third party only – this covers other people (such as your passengers) involved in an accident, or damage to other people’s property. However, this does not cover damages to your car or theft.
- Third party, fire and theft – This covers repairs or replacement if your car is stolen or set on fire in addition to a third party cover.
- Comprehensive insurance – This covers everything above and also covers damage to your own car.
Ready to compare car insurance quotes?
Explore our car insurance guides
From guides on how to choose car insurance to tips to help you save on your car insurance, our helpful guides can help you find the right deal.
Get a free reminder when your contracts are expiring
If your insurance isn’t up for renewal just yet, you can set up a reminder here and we’ll let you know when it’s time to search for a new deal.