This warming sausage and bean casserole is a quick and easy way to stay warm during those chilly winter nights. Serve with mashed potato or a slice of crusty bread!
Ingredients / Serves 4
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 pork sausages
- 400g tin cannellini beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 leeks, sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 200g mushrooms
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 400ml chicken stock
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 200g spinach
- 1 bunch fresh coriander, finely chopped
- Turn the grill on (high heat) and cook the sausages for 10-12 minutes, turning them every couple of minutes until they’re brown all over. Once done, set them aside on a plate.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large heavy-duty pan on medium to high heat. Add the onion and cook until soft (4-5 minutes).
- Add the leeks, carrots, mushrooms and garlic to the pan and cook for a further 5 minutes, or until soft.
- Return the sausages to the pan, along with the chopped tomatoes, paprika, beans and a dash of salt and pepper. After a couple of minutes, add the stock. Bring to the boil and allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the sauce has thickened up.
- Add the spinach and cook for a further minute.
- To serve, spoon into bowls and add salt and pepper to taste. Top each bowl with coriander.