Mince pies – the family favourite that can always help to get you in the Christmas mood! If you’re looking to indulge this Christmas, then this simple yet delicious mince pie recipe should offer you the festive treat you’ve been craving.
Ingredients / Makes 16
For the pastry
- 375g plain flour
- 250g unsalted butter, softened
- 125g caster sugar
- 1 large egg
For the filling
- 300g of mincemeat
- 2 satsumas or tangerines, segmented and finely chopped
- 1 lemon (zest only)
- 1 apple, finely chopped
- ½ tsp of cinnamon
- ½ tsp of nutmeg
- Milk for glazing before cooking
- Icing sugar (for dusting when the pies come out the oven)
- Preheat your oven to 220C/200C fan/gas mark 6.
- Grease a muffin tray with a knob of unsalted butter (you may need two depending on how many pies each tray will hold).
- To make the pastry, add the flour and butter to a large bowl and rub together until the mixture is a crumbly consistency. Then add the sugar and egg to the flour mixture and mix together with a fork or large wooden spoon until it becomes dough-like. If it feels too dry, add a splash of cold water. If it’s two wet, add more flour – just a sprinkling at a time.
- Wrap the dough in cling film and leave it to chill for 10 minutes.
- Add the mincemeat, apple, satsumas, lemon zest and spices to a large bowl and mix together well.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out the pastry to 3mm thick and press a round cutter or glass (10cm across approx.) into the pastry to cut out 16 round circles. Each one of these will act as a pie base. Press them into the muffin tray and prick each one with a fork before filling each one with a good amount of mincemeat.
- Gather the remaining pastry and roll out it out again. Then with a smaller cutter or glass (7cm across approx.) cut out 16 lids and press them on top of each open pie to seal. Pinch the edges of the base and the lid together making sure each pie is firmly sealed. This will give you a more classic take on a mince pie, but you could also try cutting each lid into a star for a more decorative effect. Gently prick each pie with a fork to allow the steam to escape while cooking.
- Glaze each pie with milk and cook for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. Allow each muffin tray to completely cool before removing the pies. Once cool dust each pie with icing sugar.