This article was written for Annabel & Grace, which is now part of Rest Less.
Carb free, sausage, egg and cheese muffin cups
3 eggs, separated
3 ounces low-fat or full-fat cream cheese, softened
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
2 pre-cooked spicy Italian chicken sausage
1/4 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese, plus more for garnish
1 tablespoon grated Parmesan for garnish
Creme fraiche for serving
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees
- Put the egg yolks and cream cheese in one bowl and the egg whites and Cream of Tartar in another bowl.
- Blend the egg whites with an electric mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form, about 3 to 5 minutes. Then, beat the egg yolks and cream cheese together until smooth, about a minute.
- Fold the yolk mixture into the fluffy whites with a rubber spatula, gently so the whites don’t deflate too much.
- Remove the sausage from the casing and crumble into the batter. Add the cheddar cheese and gently fold to combine.
- Spoon the batter into 6 greased ramekins or oven-safe mugs, leaving about 1/2” space at the top. (It will say on the bottom of the mug if they are oven-safe.)
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of parmesan and cheddar and serve with Creme Fraiche or a pat of butter.